Common Causes of Electrical Fires in the Home

Common Causes of Electrical Fires in the Home

Electrical fires causes and prevention tips.

Across the nation, home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, and over $1.3 billion in property damage. Because of modern-day technology, electronics surround our everyday needs and are now fully ingrained in our lives, whether it is at home or in the workplace. Take a look at a few of the common causes of electrical home fires and what you can do to prevent them.

Faulty Appliances

A common cause of electrical fires is faulty electrical outlets and old, outdated appliances. Large appliances should be serviced as frequently as recommended by the manufacturer. Appliances with worn and damaged cords should not be used, as they can send heat onto surrounding surfaces like curtains and rugs.


It’s important for homeowners to make sure their wiring is safe. Older buildings may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of electrical appliances used in today’s average home. Along with more chargers and high-speed blenders, the average home demands more from wiring than it did in previous years.

Portable Heaters

Space heaters are ideal for New York winters, bringing instant heat to any room. However, many have made the mistake of placing the heater too close to an object that it catches fire. These heaters are potentially dangerous when positioned near curtains, rugs, and furniture. The chance of inflammable material coming into contact with the red-hot coils increases the risk of fire. Be mindful to leave space around the heater and to keep it on stable ground.

These tips can help you to avoid electrical fires. If your home does succumb to a fire, you will want to be sure you are protected. Fortunately, homeowners insurance is there to protect your home when you need coverage the most. Visit the independent insurance professionals, Perry & Carroll, for all of your insurance needs in Elmira and neighboring cities in New York.