Written by Rose Jerzak, Personal Lines Account Manager
Insurance is something we purchase that we hope we never need. Your insurance policy can protect your investments, such as a new car or your home. One auto accident or large windstorm could cause thousands of dollars in damage … your insurance policy can help with the cost of things like a rental car while your car is being repaired or alternate housing if your home becomes inhabitable.
With the cost of everything rising, insurance is no exception. Let’s talk about a few ways to decrease your insurance premiums.
You may already qualify for some of the discounts available, such as:
- Multi-policies (bundling more than one policy with the same insurance carrier) can provide a discount. Home, auto, personal umbrella, motorcycle and boats are a few examples of policy types you may be able to bundle for savings.
- You can also lower your insurance premium by increasing your deductibles. Higher deductibles offer lower premiums and deter from placing small claims that can affect your premiums moving forward.
- Paperless billing (receiving your bill via email)
- Auto-pay your bill directly from your bank account
Home policy discounts may include:
- Newer home
- Newer roof
- Alarm system that is connected to the police or fire department
- Water detection alarms
- Low temperature alarms
Also, paying your home insurance premium in full each year can save you from extra billing fees (could save up to $100/year!).
Auto policy discounts include:
- Multi-vehicle: Insuring more than 1 vehicle on your policy with the same carrier
- Good driver: Having no claims or tickets for a specified period of time
- Anti-theft device
- Good student: Teens with usually a B+ or above average in high school or college
- Away at school: Students at school more than 100 miles from home without a car
- Paid in full: Not only do you get a discount for paying in full, but you also save billing fees!
- Defensive driving class: Taking a defensive driving course in person or online can be a savings. Check newyorksafetycouncil.com
While we are always looking for ways to save money, never compromise on good coverage to reduce your premium! We always hope that a tragedy will never happen to us … but, if it ever does, you will be glad you made the right choice to protect your family and investments.
Now is a great time to call us to discuss your coverages and the discounts available to you!