May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month!
As the weather warms, more and more drivers are beginning to dust off their motorcycles and hit the road. To prepare for this transition, the month of May has been proclaimed Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. This national initiative encourages motorcyclists and the rest of the motoring public to safely share the road. To help you get ready for more motorcyclists on the road, here are a few tips for drivers and cyclists alike.
- Show extra caution to motorcyclists, especially in intersections. Most crashes occur when a driver fails to see a motorcyclist and turns in front of him or her.
- Allow a greater following distance behind a motorcycle.
- Drivers should never try to share a lane with a motorcyclist. Always give him or her the full lane width.
- When passing a motorcyclist, do so with care and caution. Leave plenty of room in front and only move back into the lane when you see they are well behind you and out of your blind spot.
- Always signal before changing lanes or merging with traffic. This allows other drivers, including cyclists, to anticipate your next move.
- Always wear the right safety gear. A helmet is an absolute must, and protective gloves, boots, and jacket are strongly advised, too.
- Avoid riding in poor weather conditions.
- Position your motorcycle to avoid a driver’s blind spot.
- Use turn signals for every turn or lane change.
- Use headlights at all times.
- Consider taking a motorcycle safety course.
- Watch for hazards like potholes, manhole covers, oil slicks, debris, and gravel.
While you’re at it, ensure that you have optimum coverage for the riding season ahead. At Perry & Carroll, we can help. Contact us to learn how we can protect your ride and drive through reliable motorcycle insurance in Elmira, New York!