CO poisoning is a real threat – Ensure your home stays free from it!
Now that winter is almost here, we are staying indoors more. While we often think of a home as safer than facing the harsh New York elements, what many of us don’t realize is that our home could be harboring a silent killer – carbon monoxide. Unsafe gas appliances can produce this highly poisonous gas, and it can cause death as well as serious long-term health problems like brain damage.
CO gas is odorless, tasteless, and colorless – in short terms, there’s no way to spot a leak visually. CO poisoning occurs when you breathe in the gas and it replaces oxygen in your bloodstream. Your body tissue and cells die without oxygen. Even small amounts of gas can cause CO poisoning. Common symptoms include:
- Loss of consciousness
These symptoms are similar to those of flu and viral infections, meaning it’s more important to be on the lookout for any additional signs that your home has a CO leak. These could include:
- Your symptoms only occur when you’re at home and seem to disappear when you leave.
- Others in your household, including animals, experience similar symptoms and they appear at a similar time.
The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones is to do the following:
- Fit an Alarm: CO can’t be detected by sight, sound, smell, or taste. Your best way to find out if there is a CO leak is to install an alarm and test it regularly.
- Hire a Pro to Check the Appliances: It’s strongly advised that any gas appliances or flues in the home are installed and serviced regularly by a registered engineer.
- Never Block Ventilation: One cause of CO leaks is a lack of ventilation for stoves, heaters, boilers or coal fires. Ensure that your home’s vents are not blocked by debris or otherwise.
To keep on top of your household safety, protect your home in the best way possible! Visit the independent insurance professionals, Perry & Carroll, for all of your insurance needs in Elmira and neighboring cities in New York.