Now that Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, as a host, you may be preparing the home for friends and family. This is truly a time for spending time with loved ones, giving thanks, and enjoying a delicious, homemade meal! So that your home stays well protected, as well as your friends and family, follow these steps below:
- Never leave the kitchen unattended when the cooker or oven are on.
- If deep-frying your turkey, keep the fryer outside, away from the walls. Take extra caution when doing meat this way.
- Test your smoke alarms and replace the batteries if needed.
- Never douse your oily and greasy pans with water. This can cause a great deal of smoke.
- Defrost the meat properly. For every 5lbs of turkey, it needs one day to thaw.
- Use a meat thermometer to test the turkey. If someone was to fall ill from your cooking, you could be sued from serving raw poultry which can be potentially dangerous.
- Store leftovers properly to eliminate food poisoning. Leave the food to cool completely before refrigerating.
- Be aware of someone choking at the dinner table. Call 911 immediately, and learn how to dislodge a blockage.
While Thanksgiving is one of the most popular days across the nation, it can quickly turn into a nightmare should someone file a lawsuit from your negligence. Luckily, your homeowners liability insurance can aid you in these situations. To ensure that your coverage in Elmira, New York is sufficient should you need to rely upon it this holiday, contact Perry & Carroll.